In the event that you need to replace your MySQL read replica for binlog replication, please follow the below steps.
If these steps are not followed and we are unable to regain binlog position, all tables will need to be re-dumped which may cause long replication delays in your system.
- Start a new instance.
- Make sure binlogs are written properly (follow the instructions on setting up CDC for MySQL on RDS).
- Stop replication on the new instance:
- On the old instance, run
SHOW MASTER STATUS, and verify
Seconds_Behind_Master == 0`.
- On the Alooma Live view (click Live in the left navigation or nav to https://app.alooma.com/#/live) look at the
_metadata.timestampfield coming from the old instance.
Wait until it is > current time (this indicates that has Alooma read further in the binlog on the old instance further than the new instance's current position).
- Delete the input and re-add it, pointing to the new instance.
- On the new instance run
- Verify that binlog events are streaming via the Alooma Live screen
If you have any questions or concerns about your move to a new read replica, don't hesitate to contact us!